Foundations of Oil Spill Management:
- Introduction to the Course.
- Comprehensive Review of Oil Spill Response Strategies.
- Planning for Oil Spill Contingencies: Management and Organisational Structure.
- In-depth exploration of Oil Spill Crisis Management and Incident Command Systems.
- Techniques in Sensitivity Mapping for Vulnerable Locations.
- Understanding the Behaviour and Long-term Fate of Oil Spills.
- Assessing the Environmental and Socio-economic Impacts of Oil Spills.
- Strategic Operations Planning for Oil Spill Response.
- Interactive Exercise: Crafting an Effective Contingency Plan.
Operational Response Techniques:
- Exploration of Oil Spill Response Mechanisms.
- Tactics for Oil Containment, Protection, and Recovery.
- Application and Impact of Dispersants.
- In-Situ Burning: An Optional Response Method.
- Practical Exercise: Real-life Scenarios on Spill Assessment and Containment.
On-site Response and Cleanup:
- Shoreline Cleanup Techniques and Best Practices.
- Ensuring Site Safety and Responder Well-being.
- Guided Site Visit to a Shoreline Cleanup Operation.
- Practical Exercise: Implementing Shoreline Cleanup and Safety Protocols.
- Effective Waste Management Strategies Post Oil Recovery.
Communication and Legal Considerations:
- Managing Media Relations and Public Perception.
- Crafting an Emergency Public Information Plan.
- Enhancing Communication and Information Sharing Among Responders.
- Best Practices in Information Gathering and Documentation.
- Navigating Legal Issues: Liability and Compensation Frameworks.
- Concluding Response Operations and Post-Incident Analysis.
- Practical Exercise: Simulating Communications and Media Relations.
- Introduction to the Comprehensive Full Response Exercise.
Simulation Exercise and Course Conclusion:
- Execution of 'Exercise Neptune' or a Comparable Full-Scale Simulation.
- Collaborative Preparation for Exercise Debrief by Syndicate Groups.
- Detailed Exercise Debriefing Session.
- Participant Feedback and Course Evaluation.